Chamber Partners in Major Regional Summit
June 15, 2017
The Cornwall and Counties Community Futures Corporation, the Eastern Ontario Training Board, the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne, the City of Cornwall, and the Cornwall Chamber of Commerce recently presented the 2017 Economic Renewal Regional Summit.
Over 80 delegates from across the United Counties, Akwesasne and the City of Cornwall attended the Summit that focused on three key objectives:
• Attracting and retaining talent to the region.
• Identifying barriers to growth and regulatory hurdles.
• Attracting new investments – retaining/leveraging current investments
Keynote speakers included Victor Severino, Assistant Deputy Minister in the Ministry of Economic Development and Growth, and Tracy Hanson, Vice President, Network & Membership for the Ontario Chamber of Commerce.
From the keynote speakers and ‘state-of-the-union’ messages from officials representing the three regions, delegates then moved into a series of four, table-centric facilitated sessions. Each working group was given the task of identifying ways and means of spurring economic growth and prosperity.
Collectively, the working groups developed a series of strategies that led to next steps in the process that include:
• Regional development
• Resolving the international crossing dilemma
• Establishing a regional identity
• Youth engagement-mentoring
• An Agri-team to explore sector growth opportunities
• Marketing the region – emphasis on quality of life
This is the first major economic summit since 1998, one that played a role in image enhancement initiatives, Team Cornwall, Air quality improvement and ultimately, the highly successful Heart of the City, a program that has seen over $50 million injected into the local economy.